Happy July 4th! (And thoughts about writing and freedom)



Today I was sharing the Pledge of Allegiance with my son.  (I just learned that it's no longer recited in the classroom.)  While I spoke the words to him, I felt myself growing teary-eyed towards the end. 
"One Nation under God, with liberty and justice for all."

Regardless of whatever faith you profess to follow (or not follow), I hope that we all believe in the powerful promise behind those last 5 words:  liberty and justice for all.

Liberty relates to a sense of freedom. It touches on the idea that each person has the ability to think, say, or act in a way he or she thinks is right.  Justice relates to each person receiving fair treatment under the law.

The Pledge reminds us that in America, both of these rights belong to everyone. Not to a select educated, geographically located, beautiful, wealthy, or certain-skin colored few.  Everyone.  Me.  You.  My worst enemy.  And your worst enemy too.

With the current state of politics, it's so easy to point out our country's flaws. I've often battled with feelings of hopelessness whenever I hear of families being broken apart or the way that leaders belittle their citizens. It's heartbreaking and frustrating.

I feel powerless to do anything.  I'm just one person.  What power could I have?  What can I do to help support the powerful words of the Pledge?  And how do I raise children who also value and support those words as well?

Well written words are powerful, inspiring, compelling, and sometimes heartbreaking.   That's part of the reason why I love writing.  As a mom, I have the power to help shape my family's hearts and minds.  But as a writer, I'll have the ability to influence the hearts and minds of many, many others (well... if anyone ever reads my writing... but that lament is for another day's post.)

As a writer, I'm reminded this July 4th to incorporate some of the great promises of the Pledge into my work.  Don't get me wrong.  I love reading and writing YA novels.  I swoon over hopeful, romantic endings where the two main characters finally get their happy endings after fighting tooth and nail for each other.  But I also want my novel to show that freedom and fair treatment should be granted to all.

Eek.  It's a lofty and worthy goal.  But each of us must do our part, right?

Ok, now back to work.

Happy reading, friends!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Book Cover!

The Dating Pact comes out THIS June!

Best FREE Graphic Design Websites for Authors