Preview Chapters 1+ 2 from Haven of Smoke and Shadows!


Haven of Smoke and Shadows is coming out in a month! To whet your appetite for this next installment of the Light and Fire Series, I've included the first two chapters here!

*Note: This is from an advanced copy of the novel. The final draft will most likely be slightly different.*



Chapter 1: Lia


Even though it was Lia’s second time traveling between worlds, the sensation of walking through something solid into that amorphous between-space was still rather jarring. All around her, the portal resembled translucent melted glass. She reached out, slipping her hand through the cool, dense surroundings. Did all portals feel like a thick wall of fog? Were there other exits to different worlds? She peered around, straining to see, but only one patch of light beckoned brightly up ahead. 
Warm, humid air greeted her at the other end. Overhead, an achingly familiar sky sprawled out, where a lone sliver of moon ruled over its starry court. 
“So this is the Dark World?” Griffith eyed the forest of trees. “It looks nothing like I imagined.”
“Because it’s not some barren, desolate place?”
“You said it. Not me.” He grinned. “Despite missing a moon, your sky seems oddly brighter. But besides that, it looks exactly like Solair.”
What about her powers? Would they work the same here as they did back there? “Can I try something?”
“Sure.”
Lia reached out and took Griff’s hands in hers. “I want you to think of a memory. Any one. I’ll try to see it.” She shut her eyes tightly.
Nothing. 
She tried again. Still nothing. Lia’s eyes fluttered open. Her abilities were gone. She dropped his hands and gave him a hug. Finally, she was well and truly home.
“I’m glad you’re here with me,” she murmured. “It means everything knowing that someone here understands.”  
Griffith returned her embrace. “I wouldn’t have let you come back alone. Besides, it would destroy Kieren if anything happened to you. No matter what he said. He still cares about you.”
Temper flaring, she pulled out of his arms. “Sure. That’s why he couldn’t even come with us to say goodbye.” Not only had Kieren made it abundantly clear that he didn’t care for her romantically, but he had also accused her of liking his best friend. 
Griffith’s expression softened. “Oh, Lia, you couldn’t be further from the truth.”
“Come on.” She made a point of looking away so that he wouldn’t see the way her expression wobbled. “Let’s head out.” 
“Of course. I look forward to seeing your village.” 
As they made their way through the woods, Lia tried her best to forget about Kieren and the heartbreak that she left in Solair. Walking faster than she normally would, the muggy air soon caused the back of her tunic to stick uncomfortably to her skin. She rolled up her sleeves, desperate for a breeze to cool her overheated skin.
Beside her, Griffith unbuckled his cloak. “It’s much warmer here this time of year than in Solair.”
Lia was about to tell him about the joys of air conditioning when a loud roaring sound filled the air. 
“By the moons, what sort of beast is this?” He whipped out his sword and warily eyed the airplane that flew overhead, its white and red lights blinking in unison.
“It’s not alive. You’re looking at a machine.” Realizing that he had no idea what she was talking about, Lia racked her brain, trying to figure out how best to explain what they’d just seen. “That’s an airplane, and it’s manmade. People here travel in them.”
His eyes remained glued to the blinking lights in the sky. “Your people fly?”
“Not all the time. And planes are only one of the ways we travel.” Sensing his eagerness to learn, she launched into a list detailing all their different modes of transportation. By the time Lia had finished, they’d left the forest and were approaching the road. 
Griffith’s eyes grew as round as saucers when he saw the cars race by the traffic light. “I think I’ll like it here.”
Lia may have grown up in this world, but even she couldn’t help but feel like she was seeing everything through new eyes. His excitement was contagious. “That’s nothing. Wait till I introduce you to the internet and cell phones. Prepare to have your mind blown.”
He stopped mid-step. “And having your mind blown is a good thing?”
“Definitely.” She linked an arm through his. “Come on. We’re almost home.”

Chapter 2: Lia

The familiar neon glow from the Two Moons Diner’s sign shone in the distance, beckoning them like a beacon. 
She pointed. “That’s where we’re headed.” A feeling of happiness bubbled up inside.This was it. Home. 
“No magic, eh?” Griffith stared at the sign in disbelief. “And how exactly is everything glowing? I don’t see any candles anywhere.”
“Electricity, my friend. It was a wonderful invention.”
“Electricity? More like elec-trick-ity.” He smiled and his dimples made an appearance. “Whatever this is. It’s amazing.”
Lia grinned. Feeling lighter than she had in weeks, her steps quickened as she navigated her way through the diner’s packed parking lot. But she didn’t get very far. Every couple of steps she had to stop and wait for Griffith. Like a kid in a candy store, he paused several times to admire the vehicles. Question after question poured from his mouth the entire time. Lia tried to answer them as best she could, but her knowledge of car mechanics was rudimentary. Not caring, he kept asking anyway.
“And what is this one called?” He pointed to a sleek red motorcycle. 
“It’s a motorcycle. My dad actually--” She paused mid-sentence, remembering that the last time she rode one was with Kieren. At the thought of the silver-eyed warrior, a soft pain filled her heart.
“Your dad what?” Griff asked.
“Never mind. Come on. We’re almost there.”
Determined not to cry, she kept walking. As they reached the entrance, she spied the advertised meatloaf special and the karaoke machine set up in the main dining area. Laughter and a blast of cold air escaped through the building’s double doors as a group of customers exited. She watched them leave, frozen in place.
For so long, Lia had dreamed about coming home. But fear kept her from stepping inside. Would Gabby forgive her for leaving? Would her godmother believe Lia about Solair?  And how could she adjust to living a ‘normal’ life after everything she’d gone through?
Seeming to notice her hesitation, Griffith placed a hand on her shoulder. “This is where your family lives?”
Lia nodded. Gabby, Holly, and even Billy weren’t related to her by blood or DNA, but they were her family now.
“Then they’ll understand.” 
She gave Griffith a small smile and opened the door. A familiar bustling sight greeted her. Everything was just as she remembered, and Lia felt herself relaxing at the predictability of it all. 
Marge, the middle-aged blue-haired hostess, stood by the door, writing something down on a seating chart. Looking up, her mouth spread into a warm smile. “Well, if it isn’t a sight for sore eyes!” She pulled Lia in for a tight hug and then let go, eyeing her up and down. “You look thinner, Lia-girl. Have you been eating enough?” 
Before Lia could explain, there was a flash of movement beside her. The sweet smell of vanilla perfume filled the air and two sturdy arms held her tight.
Mija, it’s a good thing that you’re alive. Because if anything bad had happened, I would have killed you.” 
Judging from her godmother’s tone, Lia knew she was in deep trouble. But she couldn’t help smiling anyway. This was finally happening. She was home. 
Gabby gave a small grunt before pulling away. “Marge”—she motioned to the hostess—“watch the floor. My goddaughter and I have some catching up to do.” 
Warning bells rang in Lia’s mind. “Listen, Gabby; I’m so sorry.”
Her godmother held up a hand as she took a long look at Lia’s outfit. Lia crossed her arms over her chest, suddenly realizing that her tailored black pants, boots, and leather harness, while slightly odd in Solair, were definitely out of place in New Jersey.
“I am so angry at you, I could scream.” Gabby took a deep breath and exhaled. “But I’m not going to because we run a family establishment.” Her godmother then eyed Griffith. “And who is this?”
“This is my friend. Griffith.” Lia shoved him in front of her like a shield, hoping his presence would cool her godmother’s temper.
Gabby’s furious expression morphed with a radiant smile. “It’s so nice to meet you. My name’s Gabby. I’m Lia’s godmother. Welcome to my restaurant. Any friend of my goddaughter’s is a friend of mine.” 
She shot a glare in Lia’s direction before beaming at Griffith again. “Why don’t you both come upstairs so we can catch up?”
“Of course.” Griffith gave a slight bow. “It’s such a delight being here, in your world.” 
What was he saying? Lia elbowed him. Hard.
“I mean, your fine establishment,” he quickly corrected himself.
Gabby’s eyebrows shot up for a moment, but she didn’t say a word. Instead, she turned and led them through the dining area. The din of the restaurant faded as they walked up the worn stairs to Gabby’s, and now Lia’s, home. 
Stepping inside, Lia’s godmother motioned toward the robin’s egg blue living room filled with colorful knickknacks. “Please, make yourself at home.”
Awkwardly, Lia and Griffith sat side by side on the ancient leather couch.
“Would you like anything to drink? Water? Tea? Juice?” Gabby gave Griffith a long glance. “Ale?”
Lia’s jaw dropped. 
“What? Didn’t think I’d know about the customs of your Solairan friend here?”
This time Lia didn’t miss the knowing look in her godmother’s eyes. How could Gabby possibly have known about Solair?
“Water is fine, ma’am,” Griffith responded, eying both women warily.
“And you, Lia?” Gabby’s angry gaze met hers. “Will it be water for you too? Or have you developed a taste for ale?” 
Lia shook her head, still stunned. “Water’s fine. Thanks.”
Gabby left the living room and soon the sounds of clinking ice and the humming microwave filled the air.
“How does she know about my world?” Griffith murmured.
“I can answer that,” Gabby called out from the kitchen. “If my goddaughter had trusted me and sought my permission before venturing to other worlds with strangers, we could have avoided this whole uncomfortable situation.” 
“I think you’re in trouble,” Griffith mouthed.
No kidding. By the time Gabby returned with a tray filled with snacks, Lia felt her nerves wound so tight they were almost to the point of snapping.
“Would you like some snacks, Griffith?” Her godmother placed the food on the coffee table.
“Thank you.” He took a bite of a chocolate chip cookie and his eyes widened. “These are delicious. How are they so soft and warm? I don’t see a fire anywhere.”
Gabby gestured to the kitchen. “I used the microwave.”
“It heats the food by zapping it with tiny invisible waves,” Lia explained. 
Griffith shot her a confused look.
“It’s science. Not magic. My dad taught me how they work. He taught me a lot of things, actually.” 
“Seems like your father knows quite a bit about how the world works. When will I get to meet him?”
Lia’s breath hitched as she thought of her parents. “It’s just Gabby and me now. My mother and father both passed away.”
Gabby slid beside her and gave Lia’s leg a gentle squeeze. “Lia’s mother, Farrah, was the same when she first arrived.” She eyed the sword on Griffith’s hip. “Without the sword, though.” 
“I’m so sorry, Gabby,” Lia blurted out. She could feel the prickle of unshed tears behind her eyes. “I should have told you everything in the first place. But I didn’t think you’d believe me, let alone know anything about Solair. How do you know about Solair, anyway?” 
Gabby took a sip of tea. “I’ll tell you. But first, I want to know the name of your handsome silver-eyed warrior. He seemed very interested in you, if I remember correctly.” 
Really? That was the first question her godmother wanted to ask her? “His name is Kieren,” Lia muttered before savagely biting into a cookie. “And he’s not mine,” she made sure to emphasize.
Gabby gave her a knowing look. “I can tell there’s a story there. But we can talk about that later.” She took another sip of tea. “To answer your previous question, Farrah was always fairly private about her past. But I never minded. It was just her way. One time I saw her waiting on an older gentleman dressed in Renaissance-style clothing. I couldn’t hear what they were talking about, but it seemed like they got into a bit of an argument. When I approached her about it later, she told me everything—about her life in Solair, her past as a mage, and her having to leave because of some prophecy.”
“Wait a moment,” Lia interrupted. “What prophecy was my mother referring to?”
“She told me that a monster, the World Eater, was going to hunt down her daughter.”
Her mother knew all this time? The cookie suddenly felt heavy in Lia’s stomach. “Why would mom keep something like that a secret from me?”
“Please don’t be too angry. Farrah loved you so much. She wanted you to live a normal life. She was trying to protect you by not telling you.”
“She also probably assumed you would never be found here,” Griffith reasoned. “Why would you when there’s no magic?”
Logically, that made sense. But the betrayal still stung. “Why didn’t you tell me any of this when Sage and Kieren came into the restaurant that day?”
“I promised your mother that I’d help keep you away from Solair. That’s why I purposely left things vague. I couldn’t outright lie to you. You’d already lost both your parents, so it didn’t seem right to keep you away from your grandfather too. But I didn’t want to break my promise to my best friend. I was going to tell you everything once they’d left. I just never thought you’d leave with them.” 
Uh-oh. Lia sat up a little taller as she prepared herself for the scolding that was bound to come. 
Mija? What were you thinking? Getting Holly to lie for you?”
“I’m sorry, Gabby,” Lia whispered.
Her godmother frowned. “I first started suspecting something was fishy when I read your text about learning to surf.”
Lia inwardly cringed. It was common knowledge that even though she loved the beach, she hated swimming in the ocean.
“And then I had this dream where you told me you weren’t really in California.” Gabby shook her head, furious. “It only took two chocolate muffins to pry the truth from Holly. Dios, I didn’t know what to do. I couldn’t have gone to the police. What could I have said to them? Told them my goddaughter had traveled to another world and was in danger because of some monster? They would have thought I was crazy.”
Lia shifted uncomfortably. Her godmother’s dream sounded oddly similar to the one she had in Solair. “In this dream, did I talk to you at the restaurant?”
“Yes.” Gabby seemed surprised. “How do you know?” 
Griffith and Lia shared a look. “If this world is cloaked from magic, how can you can still communicate with people in dreams?” he asked.
“You can talk to other people in dreams?” Gabby stood. “I need to hear this story from the beginning. But I’d better microwave more cookies first. It seems like we have a lot to catch up on.”



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Best FREE Graphic Design Websites for Authors

New Book Cover!

Reflections on my Half-Blood Mage Cover + Diversity in YA fantasy Novels